If what is going on in the world economy, stock markets, and politics has you shaking your head in disbelief and your stomach tied in knots, read on.
Here are 7 tips for gaining perspective on the situation and changing your mental state.
1. Turn off the TV — Spending too much time being pummeled by pundits does not serve your wellbeing. Networks know that fear sells. Networks know no one can resist slowing down to see the car wreck. They count on it. Their advertisers count on it. If you must watch it to keep informed, fine. Just don’t overdo it. I am not suggesting you live in denial. Draw a line between getting information and wallowing in the mess.
2. Go out for a walk. — Spend some time by yourself, get a little exercise and enjoy the fresh air. If you have a park or a wooded area where you can walk, so much the better. Turn off your cell phone. Be alone with your thoughts for a while.
3. Read a good book. — Either fiction or non-fiction. It doesn’t matter as long as can get absorbed in it for a while. It will change your mental state.
4. Focus on your breathing. — Just the act of focusing on inhaling and exhaling will automatically relax you and change your state.
5. Pray or meditate. — That’s an obvious one, isn’t it?
6. Listen to music. — Whether the music is joyful, relaxing, upbeat, or slow it will take your mind off things for a while.
7. Gratitude. — Think of all the things you’re grateful for. You can do this while walking, or listening to music, or any other time.
8. Bonus tip. — Hug your family and tell them you love and appreciate them. What the heck, do the same with your friends too.
Bottom line: Constant exposure to negative input contributes to fear, anxiety, frustration and anger. Do one or all eight of the above suggestions and change your mental state. When you do, you will be able to make better decisions on how to deal with your own personal situation without being overwhelmed by the events of the day.
One thing that can work very fast for relieving anxiety and fear is the Emotional Freedom Technique, or EFT for short. Watch this free video, then download their free manual to get started immediately handling your anxiety.